Thursday, August 12, 2010

As I was in the 171 bus on my way to dhoby ghaut mrt station with my dear friend Kang Le this evening, a Caucasian chap brushed past me, causing me to sway to one side, swearing under my breath, for my beloved laptop almost fell out of my clutches. I glared at the fellow, but he did not notice the hardly 1.6m 14 year old kid. Too bad.

It was about fifteen minutes later, I think, that chap did an amazing thing. Beside me were two ladies . one was what we call “of golden age” and the other was a pregnant mum-to-be. “Excuse me” were the first words I heard. I turned around. “Could you give up your seats to this lady? She’s about to pass out”. I was shocked into silence. First, you don’t see that everyday. Duh. Ok, second, he actually asked those whom people are supposed to give up their seats to, to give up THEIR seats to somebody in need. It seemed kind of cool as my brain was processing that train of thought at that time. The old lady didn’t look especially pleased and she kept staring at the poor lady who looked really pale. The pregnant lady of course, gave up her seat willingly.

ANYWAYS, this event sparked many trains of thought, but I will tell you the main one. Giving up your seats. Are you definitely wrong when you do not give up your seat in the bus or mrt to the elderly, the young, and the handicapped? I don’t really think so. Why not? Some elderly may not really need to sit down, but they expect to just because the government wants to take care of them. Being one who always gives up my seat to the elderly, I am not one to talk, but there really are times when I am so tired that when I see an old woman, I just tell myself “since she is not super bony and does not have white hair, forget it”. However, my conscience won’t let me do that, and I find myself leaning against a wall, half awake.

Sometimes, you don’t even know whether some of the elderly really NEED the seat or not. Do not deceive yourself, my friend. Haven’t you ever wondered “Does this old man really have so much difficulty standing?” or maybe “It doesn’t hurt to let him stand”. Seriously speaking, all of us have experienced these thoughts going through our heads, but it seems that everybody just decides to be obedient citizens(ahem) and thus just gives up their seats to whom we are supposed to give up our seats to. So, WHY? Take some time to think about it, catch you laterJ

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home