Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Wow… almost five months have passed since I first entered this school… time passes really fast doesn’t it?

These few months seemed like a roller coaster of events that happen so fast sometimes I find myself a little confused. My first experience of Hwa Chong happened in late December. The teacher in charge of wushu(Ms Tan Yew Hui) called me and informed me that there would be a training the next day. Truth be told, I was a little afraid and nervous. I would be the only p6 kid among all the seniors and thus I was mostly afraid about not being able to fit in. However, all my fears disappeared when I reached the EP3 shed. The vice-chairman, ShunXiang, gave me a warm welcome and so did the rest of the team. In that very first training with Hwa Chong’s wushu team, I felt the spirit of Hwa Chong. Another event I cherish is the EP3 exhibition during the first few weeks of school. My seniors told them that I was the only kid that got through the DSA exercise, and when they looked at me with such awe, when I heard how proudly my seniors spoke of me, I really felt that this was where I belonged.
However, wushu wasn’t always an easy thing for me. Because I entered through DSA, i trained as hard as all the seniors- three time a week, 3.30 to 7. For the first few weeks, i slacked during the period in between the end of school and EP3 time, and thus when I reached home, I always had to stay up till the wee hours to complete my work. I realized this big mistake of mine and made changes. Now, I feel more relaxed when I reach home after training because I know that almost all my work is completed. Another setback for me was the competition. I left the class early quite a few times and therefore I missed out on quite a few important lessons. I am not blaming anybody here but myself. If I had put in more effort to catch up, I would have gotten a better grade for my tests.

Moving on to academics, I must admit that I have been pretty slack for the first two term tests. Although it IS true that I do not understand some of the topics taught, I am sure that I would have done better if I actually bothered to put in the extra effort. Truth be told, i didn’t “mug” as hard as I did during the PSLE period. I pretty much took life for granted and assumed that I would get the good grades(not being boastful here) I always had the ability to get. I wasn’t even half as hardworking. For that, I paid a terrible price. My term 1 MSG was a lousy 2.83 while my term 2 MSG was a meager 2.67. I consider this one of the setbacks in my 5 months here in this school

Another thing that I regret is being too trusting. There was this guy(who I shan’t name), he impressed me with his academic performance, citing that his English was the best and whatsoever. For the projects day competition, I decided to do the project with him. He told me beforehand that there would be a Nanyang girl doing the project with us. At that time, she was his, well, girlfriend, but when I asked him if there would be any well, problems, he assured me that there wouldn’t be any. But now, that fella suddenly became a lazy person who used my name as an excuse to go out and “do project” when all he ever did was meet up with his girlfriend, leaving me to plan and do everything by myself. So much for “leader”. Now, I have another problem on my hands. Miss-I-am-a-AEP-student isn’t getting along TOO WELL with him and is not interested I in the project anymore. Great.
Hmm…
On second thought, I would say that this is MY BIGGEST REGRET SO FAR. Ahh… that sounds more like it.:)

One thing I learned about being in a “branded” school is that people think more highly of you and really respect you. For example, when I went for street sales on Sunday as part of my CIP, there was this lady who told her friend,”Eh, look, Hwa Chong leh! These students are really clever you know. Future leaders!” When she bought the wristband from me, she told me that “next time when you become a CEO make sure you take care of lowly workers like us.” My goodness, I was really touched by that. You see, here’s a theory my dad told me(which rather makes sense if you ask me) When somebody looks at the lousiest student in a branded school, they will nonetheless think highly of you. However, if you get the best student from a lousy school(no offence), people will still give them snide remarks. This goes to show how important getting into a good school is.

1 Comments:

Anonymous wongxuyi said...

hahas

June 03, 2009  

Post a Comment

<< Home